Thursday, February 22, 2007

To Everything There Is A Season

This song has been appearing in my head the last couple of days. Maybe partly because of the "turn turn turn" I have up there, going through my old posts, and thinking about my own situation. But maybe more because of the amazing series of posts Lara is writing this week.

I actually didn't know until a couple months ago that the song lyrics are taken from the Bible, Ecclesiastes.

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven;
3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

2 comments:

tpiglette said...

The junior English teacher at my school did a new unit on Ecclesiastes with the juniors a couple weeks ago, and she said it went really well. It was pretty funny when she mass-emailed the staff list looking for a copy of the "turn turn turn" song. I actually don't think I know it (or maybe I would if I heard it), but I certainly have heard a lot about it by now!

Lara said...

good song. :) i've been appreciating my own reminders to myself that, indeed, there is a time for everything. maybe this is a time for hurting, but there will be a time for healing and happiness again.