Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lost In Translation

Me:

"I've been pretty much bedridden 16-20 hours per day and housebound since August."

"I barely manage to eat and shower every day. (Though I do blog sometimes.)"

People:

"Do you want to go on a hike? We can come pick you up."

"Do you want to go out for dinner? A movie?"

"We're going to Maker Fair in San Mateo, if you're interested in going too."

Me:

Sigh.


Hiking... if people want to carry me in a bed while making sure there is not a single tick within a mile of me, sure!

Apparently, there is still a lot of work needed on my descriptions, and I haven't seen anyone be able to describe chronic fatigue syndrome in a way that is anywhere close to comprehensible to other people. Which makes me wonder if it is something that is even describable in words.

5 comments:

Lara said...

i've considered offering just to come over and be companionable - read aloud from a book or something. but i'm not even sure if you want something like that. well, the offer's on the table, in case you do - i think it'd be great, and i wouldn't even mind if you fell asleep while i was there! - but otherwise i'm sending virtual offers of support. :)

dancing dragon said...

aw, you're so awesome. i hope i'll feel up to hanging out sometime.

Anonymous said...

I'll echo that offer. The only difference is you dont want me reading to you. It'll not be too inspiring! I'll bring my iPod and speakers and play an audio book for you instead (-:

fourthbreakfast said...

I'm sure it's because your friends miss you and want to spend time with you. I would love to see your smiling face again.

I just spoke to an acquaintance who had chronic fatigue syndrome for 2 years. She's back to normal. I'm trying to find your email address and I'll send you a list of stuff she said helped her. I'm sure it's old hat to you, but I'll pass it along anyway:)

dancing dragon said...

aditya - thanks for your offer. i hope i'll get better enough to have visitors soon!

fourthbreakfast - thanks for thinking of me. for my e-mail address, many versions of my name at cs.stanford.edu will work. Eg. first initial appended to last name. :)