Sunday, July 01, 2007

"Nested" Labels Search in GMail

After I complained about not being able to drill-down to find the intersection of multiple Google Labels, the bright idea appeared in my mind that there might be a way to "hack" it. Indeed, you can do it in GMail.

Click on a label heading and the Search Mail search box will show label:<label>.

To find the intersection of multiple labels, search for:

label:<label1> label:<label2> ... label:<labelN>

For example, if I want to find messages labeled both dance and pictures, type into the search box:

label:dance label:pictures

Label names with multiple words are separated by hyphens, such as:

label:Danse-Libre

Well, Blogger has a different user interface for searching for labels, and I haven't yet figured out a way to hack Blogger URLs to do the same if possible. The blog search box doesn't take the label keyword.

3 comments:

Peter Cruickshank said...

God man, that's awesome. But I NEEEED this feature in blogger as well... definitely let me know if you find something!

nyet said...

Thanks for the hack

ggruendgens said...

Thanks for the info. It is very useful indeed.