Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ticks on the Brain

How is it that doctors in California say that you can't get Lyme disease in California, or that it is so rare that it doesn't need to be thought of, while veterinarians in California are very aware that dogs get Lyme disease?

Check out some state and county data:

Dogs and Ticks 101: Interactive Maps

If any of those doctors are dog-owners, and if they vaccinate their dogs for Lyme disease, I really wonder how their brains work.

***

CDC's Tularemia FAQ

Apparently, tularemia can be gotten from handling "infected sick animals". And "Francisella tularensis is highly infectious. A small number of bacteria (10-50 organisms) can cause disease." Yet they also claim that "People have not been known to transmit the infection to others, so infected persons do not need to be isolated."

Last time I checked, humans are animals.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we've covered this before, but I believe Lyme is MUCH more prevalent than we are led to believe.

A good portion of folks with my particular condition (Fibromyalgia) end up having Lyme disease. I don't, thankfully, but it was a consideration for a time.

I need to read more.