Saturday, February 17, 2007

Goodbye to the Year of the Dog

Six months is long enough to almost forget what it's like to be the real me. But who is the real me, if this is reality? The real me didn't seem to know any limits, physically or mentally.

You don't normally think too much about the fact that you don't have to think about doing things. When you need to go grocery shopping, you just hop in the car and go do your shopping. When you need to eat, you just chomp away and enjoy your food. When you want to read something, you read. There's no thought or effort involved. When you need to work, you do it. When your friends want to hang out, you go enjoy.

I had a difficult time imagining how I would handle work and kids in the future, but that's a sort of easy difficulty, where you're still capable of handling it both physically and mentally. How can I think about these things when I can't even take care of myself? (Unless someone is willing to date me while I'm in my pajamas in bed....)

If you had an illness that might make you unable to care for your children, would you still have children?

***

Goodbye to the year of the dog. Hopefully it's a good thing. This year of the dog was supposed to be a bad year for dragons. I guess dogs and dragons are on opposite sides of the twelve year cycle. How well do dragons and pigs get along?

5 comments:

Lara said...

your question about kids is an interesting one. i don't know what i would decide. having children has always been so important to me - i can't imagine feeling incapable of caring for them. it's actually quite a scary thought for me...

tpiglette said...

Hopefully they get along well, since I'm a pig! :) Happy Chinese New Year's Eve. I have this coming week off from school, so I will definitely give you a call (finally!!). Sending you my prayers!

Lady M said...

Happy New Year! Wishing you health and strength in the upcoming months.

Anonymous said...

Yes, on the kids. For completely selfish reasons. I don't know if I could feel this way-every day-every moment-if I didn't know that there was some redeeming value in it.

I have Fibromyalgia, and although it's not Lyme, I hear there are striking similarities. I'd love to chat sometime.

dancing dragon said...

lara - Yeah, it's a tough question. When children are so important to you, you want the best for them, which in some scenarios might actually mean not having them. Scary thought, even for me, and I am not very maternal.

tpiglette - I didn't know you are a pig. But now I see that you are a piglette. :)

lady m - Thank you and Happy New Year!

tsm - Thanks for visiting. I have seen you around somewhere, I don't quite remember where. I'm open to chatting, somehow, but you're anonymous!